Saturday 1 November 2014

Retail Report - Shoreditch High Street, London.

Shoreditch High Street is somewhere I have not actually visited prior to coming here as part of the University trip so I wasn't too sure what to expect but, upon arriving, I loved it. Coming out of the pretty futuristic looking station you are greeted by chain fences covered in padlocks and as you turn, the Box Park.
This is such an innovative idea, and I know that there a pop-up shops located at several places throughout the city, I have never seen anything like this one before.
I loved the structure, small box like coves attached to each other. It almost has a market type feel to it but with a more structured retail feel. As you move on from here you are surrounded by street art. I am a huge, huge fan of street art myself so I loved this. I may be wrong but it seemed so obviously embraced here as apposed to a lot of other places (the majority of the rest of the country) where it is
pretty frowned upon.

I came across some stores which I adored and would most definitely visit again, such as House of Hackney, which was so unique to anything that I have seen on a highstreet before. It was mostly homeware mixed in with a few clothing items and accessories and then filled with tons of different exotic plants, including extremely spiky cactus. The layout was great, busy but tidy looking, even with very heavily printed wallpaper.
House of Hackney, Shoreditch

The streets, were also lined with chain brands such as Urban Outffitters, American Apparel, TK Maxx, etc, etc, but these, to me, looked so different from these stores I had seen before, the windows looked great, really fresh and original, as well as the interiors and TK Maxx was very different from the ones that I have been into before, labels everywhere!! I guess that is defnitely the place to go if you are looking for a Moschino scarf or a Vivienne Westwood bag on a budget.

Then I came to find Brick Lane, which was great. So many unique little stores, and A LOT of vintage! I came across two which I was especially drawn too, Porcelain and Red and Vintage Basement, both pretty different from each other even though they are both carrying vintage wares. And the shop owners were really helpful and friendly, especially in Vintage Basement. I would definitely recommend a visit!

Overall the whole feel of the place of very rough and ready but has some beautiful shops and I think is a brilliant place to shop, especially if you are really interested in vintage because this is definitely the best place for you to visit if you are!!

Here are some images of the overall place that I captured whilst I was out and about exploring the area...

No comments:

Post a Comment